Choosing the best solar gate opener for your entrance isn’t an open and shut case. Sorry, the pun couldn’t be left out, but let’s digress. Breaking down the best solar gate openers isn’t an easy task when considering the complex components that make a gate opener function.
Best Solar Gate Openers at a Glance
- Ghost Controls TSS1XP Heavy-Duty Solar Single Automatic Gate Opener Kit – Our Choice
- Mighty Mule MM571W Solar Package
- Ghost Controls DTP1XP Architectural Series Automatic Gate Opener Kit
- DC House EM3 Heavy-Duty Solar Gate Opener Kit
- TOPENS A3S Automatic Gate Opener
- FISTERS EM3 Solar Automatic Gate Opener Kit for Single Swing Gates
- Mighty Mule EZGO-Solar Automatic Gate Operator
- ECO-WORTHY EM 3 Automatic Gate Opener
- 16 Ft. Dual Solar Powered Automatic Swing Gate Openers
There are so many different solar gate openers that it can be difficult to find just the right one for you. Paying attention to the different specifications and instructions about installing and what the maximum weight limits can be exhausting for anyone! Why just look at a list of the 10 best solar gate openers? Here we have put together a comprehensive solar gate opener review list of the 15 best solar-powered gate openers for your home.
9 Best Solar Gate Openers Reviewed
1. Ghost Controls TSS1XP Heavy-Duty Solar Single Automatic Gate Opener Kit
Coming in at the top of our list of best solar gate openers is this Ghost Control opener kit. There is a reason the Ghost Controls TSS1XP Heavy-Duty Solar gate opener comes with everything you need to successfully install your solar automatic gate. This whole system is easy to install and comes with all of the materials that you would need. The gate opener kit includes the 10-watt solar panel, remote control, tube brackets, and systems control box.
For those wanting something that has amazing customer reviews, this single gate opener has some of the best. With a 4.5 out of 5-stars rating from over eight hundred verified purchasers, you can get a solid idea of the quality of this product as well as viewing any common issues.
One thing that can be slightly confusing about this product is the listed weight capacity. It is important to read that this solar-powered automatic gate opener can accommodate a gate up to 20 feet long or 900 pounds. Meaning, if the gate is 20 feet long, it should weigh no more than 300 pounds. However, if the gate is only five feet long, that’s where that 900 pound comes in.
- Rechargeable 12v Battery
- 10-watt solar panel included
- Remote works from up to 1000 feet away
- Accommodates gates up to 20 feet long
- Lifetime warranty on hardware
- 12V battery not included
- 300 lb. maximum weight capacity
- No keypad included
OR the duel gate:Check the price on Amazon
2. Mighty Mule MM571W Solar Package
Coming in at number two on the list for the best solar gate openers for single gates is this Mighty Mule. You will love the Mighty Mule MM571W Solar Package from Amazon! The single swing gate opener is powerful enough to open up a heavy-duty gate up to 18 feet long from the ease of remote control.
This solar-powered gate opener comes in several different wattage options: 5W, 10W, 20W, and 30W. Fortunately, this Might Mule kit includes the basics for installing the solar panel and other mechanical portions.
One great feature about this product is that you have the ability to purchase a separate wireless connectivity kit that allows you to operate your swing gate opener from up to half a mile away. Because so many of us use our smartphones for everyday things now when it concerns doors, garage door openers, even turning lights on and off, this is a great way to never lose the remote control to your solar gate.
While this kit comes with the 12 V battery required to operate this solar-powered gate opener, the company recommends that you use a battery warmer in colder weather conditions for your opener to operate properly. This warmer is sold separately.
- Can accommodate gates up 18 feet long
- Maximum weight of 850 lbs
- It can be operated with a smartphone
- 24-hour technical support
- It comes with remote control
- Wireless Connectivity Kit sold separately
- Only the 18-month warranty
- Push-to-open brackets sold separately
- Has the potential to malfunction in cold weather
3. Ghost Controls DTP1XP Architectural Series Automatic Gate Opener Kit
When it comes to making solar gate openers, you can expect only the best from Ghost Controls on Amazon. This DTP1XP architectural series will not only make your gate look great, but it also allows for it to look higher end. With the heaviest weight capacity on this list, you can rest assured that this solar gate opener will work with that heavy-duty gate. This kit can accommodate gates up to 1000 lbs or up to 20 feet long.
Amazon verified customers give this product a 4.5 out of 5 stars rating with numerous rave written reviews. Like any other product, do your research by reviewing the product specifics and anticipating any other things that you might need in advance.
For example, when you read about this product, it tells you that it comes with one 12V battery, but when you review further, you will see you realize this solar gate opener can best be used on gates that are decorative or made of chain links. However, this will not work for solid paneled gates.
- Can withstand up to 1000 lbs
- Lifetime Warranty on motor
- Has a remote
- Can program extra remotes
- Easy to follow instructions
- 18-month warranty
- It cannot use on solid panel gates
- It comes with only one of the two needed 12v batteries
- No live customer support
4. DC House EM3 Heavy-Duty Solar Gate Opener Kit
This DC House Heavy-Duty Solar Gate Opener kit has some impressive features that made it land on this list of the best solar gate openers. First of all, these single swing gate openers have an obstruction feature where if you are accidentally in the area of the gate as it is closing, you don’t have to worry about it continuing to close. This is especially important when you have small children that will be near or around your gate.
With the press of a remote button, opening and closing your gate from up to fifty meters away is extremely convenient. Need more remotes? Not a problem! You can purchase however many remotes are needed and program them for your family and friends.
Another convenience is that this kit includes two batteries and can provide backup use for up to four days. This is nice considering it is not always sunny every day. It is important to ensure that you are aware of the maximum weight, as this single gate opener can only accommodate gates up to 8 feet or 660 lbs.
- It comes with two batteries
- Can support 4 days of use
- Made to work in harsh weather
- Safety and obstruction switch
- Only a 12-month warranty
- May require additional hardware
- No technical help phone number
- Only accommodates gate up to 8 feet
OR the duel gate:Check the price on Amazon
5. TOPENS A3S Automatic Gate Opener
When it comes to the product price and value paired with durability and functionality, the TOPENS A3S solar-powered gate opener on Amazon is a great option for you. This is a single swing gate opener that operates from a 20-watt solar panel and a 24v rechargeable battery to provide you with high-powered and reliable use.
As always, the best solar gate openers are ones that can withstand the harshest of environments, and you will love that this one fits the bill in that department. Its waterproof aluminum design will ensure that you get your years’ worth out of this investment.
As one of the least expensive items on this list, you will be happy that you will be able to spend a little more on some of the extra accessories available. Get yourself a gate keypad or a wireless gate camera to enhance the use of your new solar-powered swing gate opener. Even better is the fact that there are built-in adjustable auto-close functions. Have your gate set to close between 3 and 120 seconds.
- Lots of accessories can be added
- Adjustable auto-close
- Has a remote
- Manual open/close feature
- 24v battery not included
- Only accommodates up to 300 lbs.
- Only a 12-month warranty
- No phone number for customer service
OR in duel:Check the price on Amazon
6. FISTERS EM3 Solar Automatic Gate Opener Kit for Single Swing Gates
The FISTERS EM3 solar gate opener kit on Amazon has everything you need to make sure your single swing gate will open and close just as you need. Your kit comes with the solar panel, brackets, remotes, and batteries, along with an instruction manual for an easy-to-install experience. If you ever need more than the remotes that come with the kit, you can order and program up to fifty remotes to go with this solar-powered gate.
On Amazon, you can read various customer reviews to help you decide whether or not this solar gate opener is the best option. This particular solar gate opener boasts a 4.6 out of 5 stars rating from its verified purchasers. Pay close attention to the size of your gate and the weight of the gate you want to use with this system.
Many other solar gate openers for single gates can accommodate either a larger gate size or more weight. This one can accommodate up to an 8-foot long gate or 660 pounds. So if your gate is only 4′ wide, the maximum weight capacity might only be 300 pounds.
- High-grade stainless steel
- Waterproof and weather-resistant
- Comes with remote
- Infrared Sensor Function
- Multiple videos on how to install
- It only has a 12-month warranty
- Must email customer service
- Only accommodates up to 8 feet of the gate
OR in duel gate:Check the price on Amazon
7. Mighty Mule EZGO-Solar Automatic Gate Operator
The Mighty Mule EZGO solar power gate opener has everything you need for the easy installation of your heavy-duty gate opener. This particular unit has desirable features and works for gates made from chain links, wood, and vinyl. Also, this works on ornamental and panel gates. One great feature of this product is that both you and another person can have your personal single-button remote control for your gate.
While this product has almost everything you need to install it properly, you would still need to purchase the required 12v automotive or marine type battery for this unit. More specifically, you need to make sure that the battery you purchase can produce at least 250 cold-cranking amps (CCA). These units include solar panels, remotes, brackets, and arms for opening swing gates.
- Potential tax credit for this product
- Opening and closing safety features
- Can accommodate gates up to 16 feet
- Up to 145 backup cycles
- Single-button remote
- Can program additional remotes
- Only a 12-month warranty
- 12v battery not included
- Lower weight rating
OR the duel gate:Check the price on Amazon
8. ECO-WORTHY EM 3 Automatic Gate Opener
The ECO-WORTHY solar gate opener is certainly worthy of making a list. You will be very pleased with the safety and security that comes with owning a solar gate opener, knowing you are conserving electricity and securing your property at the same time.
Coming with all of the brackets, batteries, and instructions you need to install your gate opener properly, you will certainly be pleased with the final result. The ECO-WORTHY is all-weather ready, waterproof, and made of stainless steel materials, which means you don’t have to worry about any of the harsh elements destroying your investment.
This impressive solar gate opener can open a single gate door weighing up to 661 pounds and will work on gates between five and eight feet in length. You will love that no additional batteries need to be purchased as required by some competitor brands.
The 7AH batteries included can keep a strong charge to ensure that your gates work in the rain, shine, sleet, or snow! Finally, you will appreciate the safety of the infrared beam sensors that keep your solar gate device from accidentally closing on a person or animal.
- Accommodates up to 1320 lbs
- It comes with the required batteries
- Has two remotes
- Can program up to 50 remotes
- Stainless steel materials
- Infrared beam sensors
- Control box cover included
- Only a 12-month warranty
- 11w solar panel
- Not smart capable
- Cannot program additional solar panels
9. 16 Ft. Dual Solar Powered Automatic Swing Gate Openers
Last but not least on our list is this 16ft solar-powered gate opener made by Homeland Hardware. While this name is not widely known as Mighty Mule or Ghost Controls, this company still delivers a quality product at a comparable (or lesser) price to its competitors.
Like most dual-powered gates, this automatic solar gate opener has an automatic obstruction sensor that keeps any unforeseen accidents occurring because of a gate closing on someone or something. Included with the listed safety features is the emergency release key in mechanical failure and adjustable opening and closing time.
This kit comes with almost everything you need to install your solar gate opener, which includes your solar panel, control box, remotes, and hardware. You will need to purchase an automotive or marine-type battery for this unit to work. One great feature about this product is that if you need more remotes, you can program up to ten different remote controls for these solar swing gates, which can also be purchased through Amazon.
- 10w solar panel (2)
- 2 remotes
- Maximum 1200lb gate weight
- Quiet open and close
- Obstruction sensors
- Automotive or marine batteries not included
- No waterproof control box
How Well Do Solar Gate Openers Work?
Solar gate openers work extremely well when installed correctly and according to the specifics of whatever solar gate opener that you purchase. Solar gate openers are a great solution for someone who wants a backup method of getting onto a property when the electricity fails or for the person who is simply trying to conserve energy and keep from having to deal with a monstrosity of wires.
Tips for Installing and Choosing Solar Gate Openers
- For example, if the gate opener that you choose can only accommodate 200 lbs for a four-foot gate, don’t try to use a 400 lb and 8-foot gate with the product…it won’t work. Pay attention to the weight and measurement maximums and make sure your gate meets those different specifications.
- Ensure ahead of time that the type of gate you have will work with the type of solar gate opener you are looking at. For example, most of these solar gate openers will work on swing gates made of chain link, metal tubing, paneling, or wood. However, many of these solar power gate openers won’t work on solid sheet metal gates.
- Think about how much you will use your gate versus the wattage and battery capacity of the product you are looking at. If you know that your gates need more power, but the gate opener you are looking at only has a 10-watt solar panel, you need to see if you can either add a solar panel or consider looking at a different product.
- When installing your solar panels for your swing gates, ensure that the area you choose has optimum sunlight. While this may seem like common sense, if someone is using a solar gate opener out on some highly shaded land, this could be a problem.
- Ensure you have the proper tools for installation. No one likes to be surprised when installing something and realizes mid-project that you do not have the right tools to finish. Super frustrating! While most of the gate openers on this list require basic tools, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
How Much Is a Solar Powered Gate?
It should come as no surprise that anything that is of good quality is going to be cheap. Essentially, go by the old adage of “you get what you pay for”. It is good to consider the comparable cost of installing an electric gate opener versus using a solar gate opener.
The average cost of installing an electric operating fence opener can cost over $4000. I don’t know about you, but if I can save and take the solar approach and do a little work myself and save a ton of money in the process, I will.
Electric Cost vs. Solar Cost
Installing an electric solar-powered fence will typically require a licensed electrician to run and connect the electricity, which can be costly. Then, consider the additional cost of the additional electricity on your electric bill. While this is likely not going to be a steep additional cost, it will be ongoing and adds up in the long run. Lastly, consider the cost of maintenance on electric gate openers. This can be anything from replacing parts to hiring an electrician again to come out for other issues.
Every single solar gate opener on this list runs between $300 and $1000. If your solar gate opener requires additional purchases or just has some cool add-ons that you know you will want, be sure to add that to the overall cost.
There is no cost of hiring an electrician, which alone can be a major difference. Also, there is no continual increase in your electric bill for running the gate. Typically, you save labor costs by installing this product yourself and simply need to have the correct tools to install the solar gate opener.
Think about the type of gate that you want to install. Consider the weight of the gate you want versus several of the solar gate opener options presented. If the gate you are envisioning for your property exceeds the weight or length limits of the options on this list, you may either need to go with a different gate or consider the cost of installing an electrical option that can accommodate that type of gate.
Location, Location, Location
Lastly, examine the place where your solar gate opener is to be located and assess whether or not you can even have a solar-powered opener. For example, if you are trying to gate a wooded property and no sunlight is visible at the site, you may not be able to use a solar gate opener and need to consider if the electrical option would be better. Possibly, you live in an area where sunlight is minimal, and you need to consider other options.
There is always the possibility that you live in an area where temperatures are either too hot or too cold for the mechanisms to function properly. Essentially, it is just as important to consider the various places you would want to install your gate opener as it is to consider the cost.
Overall, the best solar gate opener is whichever one best fits your needs, your property, as well as your budget. Solar gate openers provide you with easy access to power. No more worry about spending a small fortune on digging trenches and running electricity. You have the ability to protect your property, home, or business with extreme ease. This also comes at a much lower cost than purchasing a commercial-grade gate opener and running electricity.
Many of the best solar gate openers conserve power and allow you to use your gate opener even when the sun is not shining. These solar-powered marvels all come with the appropriate solar panels, and some even allow you to add additional ones for a higher power wattage at a minimum cost.
Certain openers, such as the Might Mule EZGO Solar or Ghost Controls openers, are top of the line and have some of the best warranties and add-ons that you can search for. Things such as making your gate smartphone-compatible are something that most would find desirable in today’s day and age.
A great many benefits that come with purchasing the best solar gate opener are defiantly worth all of the thought and time you are certainly putting into this investment.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?