Solar string lights are a great way to add a bit of light and aesthetics to an area. They provide ample outdoor lighting, customized lighting options, be the ideal string length, and have a long enough battery life to last the night.
If the solar lights are to be used outdoors it’s important to get a solar string light that can handle bad weather. Shatter-proof bulbs aren’t common but may be necessary for outdoor areas with high winds or hail. Then of course a longer battery life in areas that get less sunlight should be strongly considered.
There are a lot of factors to consider and many of them are determined by your unique circumstances. We’ve reviewed the following solar string lights and ranked them based on their general use.
Best Outdoor Solar String Lights at a Glance
- Best Overall – Sunlitec Solar String Lights
- Longest Battery Life – Jedavai Solar String Lights
- Great for Festive Occasions – Brightown Crystal Globe Solar String Lights
- Shatterproof Bulbs – PERFECTDAY Solar String Lights
- Most Expensive – Brightech Pro Solar Powered Outdoor String Lights
- Shortest String Length – Lemontec Solar String Lights
- Unique Aesthetic – Qedertek Fairy Blossom Solar String Lights
- Cheapest – Brightown Outdoor Solar String Lights
- Curtain Lights – DBFAIRY Curtain Solar Lights
- Longest Length – Joomer Solar String Lights
- Best Christmas Option – Albelt Solar Christmas String Lights
Best Solar String Lights Reviews
1. Sunlitec Solar String Lights
For general use, the Sunlitec Solar String Lights are perhaps the best solar string lights on the list. They have a decent length, good luminosity, and provide a cool white light. It also has a convenient USB charging port in case solar just isn’t cutting it.
These outdoor solar string lights come with 25 solar light bulbs that put off three watts of light. The bright lights provide ample lighting in any garden space. Each of the bulbs can be replaced so the user doesn’t have to replace the entire string of lights.
The 4500 mAH battery is large enough to keep the globe string lights on for eight hours after being fully charged. This should be plenty of life to stay on throughout the night. The battery can also be charged via a USB port in case it doesn’t receive enough sunlight.
These lights extend up to 27 feet which is about average compared to others on this list. Some users may want to consider other products that are much longer than this option.
Price & Warranty
These solar-powered string lights are the second most expensive lights on the list and nearly twice the cost of most solar string lights. They come with a standard one-year warranty on the device.
- The solar lights can stay on for a solid eight hours with a fully charged battery.
- Comes with a convenient micro USB charging port.
- Can stretch out 27 feet in length.
- Comes with a standard 1-year warranty.
- Second most expensive string lights on the list.
- There are longer solar string lights out there.
2. Jedavai Solar String Lights Multi-colour
These solar string lights work great as a more aesthetic alternative to Sunlitec. These crystal bulbs provide colorful light and stretch a good distance. These outdoor solar string lights are great for festive occasions.
The outdoor solar string lights have 100 LED bulbs to provide ample lighting for any outdoor space. It has a max length of 40 feet making it one of the longest outdoor string lights on the list.
The 800 mAH rechargeable battery gives this solar string light a long battery life of 10 to 14 hours. This is of course dependent on which of the eight lighting modes is chosen. These modes range from single colors to alternating colors for any occasion.
The solar panel comes with its own ground stake to be planted in the ground. It can swivel to take advantage of the sunlight’s location, though this must be manually adjusted and will not follow the sun.
Price & Warranty
These solar string lights are one of the cheapest options on the list. While no warranty is listed they do offer customer support with their products.
- Colorful light bulbs are good for more festive uses.
- 40 feet of length makes it one of the longest options reviewed.
- With a 10 to 14-hour battery life, they are potentially the longest-lasting lights on the list.
- Comes with a range of color modes.
- Is one of the cheaper options available.
- Brighter lighting modes can run down the battery.
- Aesthetics are more suited for festive occasions.
3. Brightown Crystal Globe Solar String Lights
The Brightown solar string lights are a great alternative to the Jedavai lights and one of the longest strings on the list. They come with eight lighting modes.
This product has 60 LED globe bulbs that provide a warm white light The total length is about 35.6 feet which is one of the longest outdoor string lights we looked at. These LED bulbs should work for both indoor and outdoor use that require lots of coverage.
The 800 mAH rechargeable battery should be enough to keep the lights on for eight to ten hours. These particular outdoor solar string lights come with eight lighting modes to change colors and flashing patterns. Depending on the setting this could impact the average battery life of the product.
The solar lights come with a monocrystalline solar panel that will charge the device. Fortunately with how long the product is finding a way to keep the solar panel in direct sunlight shouldn’t be an issue.
Price & Warranty
The Brightown Crystal Globe is one of the cheapest lights we reviewed. It also comes with a standard one-year warranty.
- Comes with crystal bulbs that can provide a nice aesthetic.
- At 35.6 feet it’s one of the longest solar string lights reviewed.
- Has eight lighting modes to provide custom lighting options.
- The battery can last up to ten hours on a full charge.
- It is one of the cheapest options you can buy from those we covered.
- The aesthetic might not be right for some users.
- Having it on some of the brilliant lighting modes can bring down battery life.
4. PERFECTDAY Solar String Lights
The PERFECTDAY Solar String Lights are perhaps the most durable option. Their shatterproof plastic shells allow the solar light bulbs to survive many conditions while providing sufficient light. For users in areas with harsher weather, this may be the light for them.
This solar string light features 25 G40 LED bulbs in a warm white light. The light bulbs are shatterproof so they are suited for outdoor areas that see high wind, hail, and other harsh weather conditions. The total length of these outdoor string lights is 27 average feet.
The patio lights come with a 2200 mAH battery that should be more than enough to keep the solar string lights running through the night. There are four different lighting modes to provide some customization. These settings can impact battery life.
Unlike other models, these solar lights come with a solar panel that must be mounted to a surface. Depending on the intended use this can be more convenient as they don’t have to be near the ground. Alternatively, it can be more of a hassle as it must be mounted to a surface that may not receive direct sunlight.
Price & Warranty
This product is middle of the pack in terms of pricing. There isn’t a warranty listed so buyers will have to consult the company directly for this information.
- Shatterproof bulbs provide great protection from the elements.
- Four lighting modes to choose from.
- The mounted solar panel can be great for installing on buildings or places higher up.
- Less lightning options compared to other models.
- This product is shorter than other patio string lights.
- Panel mounting can make it tricky to get enough solar energy.
5. Brightech Ambience Pro Solar Powered Outdoor String Lights
This product is the most expensive on the list and offers some interesting benefits. It has shatterproof and heat-resistant bulbs and comes with a great warranty. These Edison solar string lights will set you back but are very durable.
This product features 12 replaceable vintage Edison bulbs. These Edison bulbs produce a warm white soft glow along a 27-foot strand. Each light bulb is shatterproof and is designed to be heat resistant. They make great outdoor decorations and can resist the elements very well.
On a full charge, these solar-powered lights can last around 5 to 6 hours. Admittedly this is short compared to others lights but should be enough for keeping outdoor space lit during the night.
The solar panel can be mounted on a stake in the ground or clipped to a roof or banister. This gives the solar panels a lot of flexibility in where they can be placed and take advantage of the light.
Price & Warranty
The Brightech lights are the most expensive option on our list. It does come with an above-average warranty of two years. Given the durability of the product, the ability to replace the bulbs, and the warranty this is a great product for areas with harsher weather.
- Edison bulbs can provide a nice aesthetic.
- The bulbs are shatterproof, heat resistant, and can be replaced.
- Solar panels can be staked in the ground or clipped to a building.
- Comes with a nice two-year warranty.
- Is the most expensive of all the solar string lights on the list.
- Shorter battery life than most.
6. Lemontec Solar String Lights
Lemontec offers water drop solar lights that come in bright and festive colors. This 2-pack gives users plenty of bulbs for making any outdoor space interesting and colorful. It may not be suited for traditional spaces, but it certainly has its niche.
These decorative lights feature 30 water drop LED string lights. These solar string lights run at 15 lux providing sufficient light for just about any outdoor space. The total length of this product is 20 feet which is a bit on the short side compared to others.
Each strand comes with a 1,000 mAH battery which should last about 10 hours. The lights are set to shine in a multitude of colors that can’t be changed. The solar string lights can be set to blink in various patterns, however.
The panel must be staked to the ground, though this product doesn’t seem to include a stake. Users will need to obtain a 20 cm garden pole to install it.
Price & Warranty
These solar lights are a good deal considering it comes in a 2-pack. There doesn’t appear to be a warranty, but there is a 30-day return policy.
- Multicolored lights are perfect for festive occasions.
- Can be set to blink at varying intervals.
- Comes in a 2-pack.
- Comes with a 30-day return policy.
- There isn’t a way to change the colors of the lights.
- 20 feet can be short when compared to other solar string lights.
- No mentioned warranty.
- Doesn’t include a stake for the solar panel.
7. Qedertek Blossom Solar Fairy String Lights
Qedertek Blossom solar fairy string lights provide a unique and colorful aesthetic with flower shapes lights. This unique look costs a little more and doesn’t last as long as other solar string lights. For general use, it may not be ideal, but for a fun and quirky solar light, it might be the right choice.
There are 50 LED lights shaped like flower blossoms in various colors. The entire thing runs along a strand that stretches 21 feet in length. It’s not the shortest on the list but it is close.
These colors are preset and cannot be changed, though there are settings to make them blink or remain steady. The rechargeable battery is smaller than most at 600 mAH which is good for about 8 hours.
The solar panel must be staked in the ground to ensure the solar string lights work properly. The ground stake is included, but the short length can pose a problem for hanging on roofs.
Price & Warranty
It’s not expensive, but there are cheaper options we reviewed. There isn’t a listed warranty, but some users have reported being able to get replacements if the product doesn’t work.
- Unique flower blossom lights come in multiple colors.
- Can change light settings to flash or remain steady.
- No way to change the color of the lights.
- The 21-foot strand is shorter than others.
- The cost is higher than other lights with greater length and battery life.
8. Brightown Outdoor Solar String Fairy Lights
For those wanting fairy lights, this is the best option on the list. It has a decent length, multiple light modes, and a decent battery life. It may not suit every situation, but for those who like this aesthetic, this is a great choice.
This solar-powered fairy light comes with 100 LED mini bulbs. These fairy lights are strung across a line that’s 33 feet in length which is above the average length of the others.
It comes with eight different lighting modes to change the colors and blinking patterns. These fairy lights have an 800 mAH battery that should last 8 to 10 hours on a full charge. Though changing the lightning modes can fluctuate this.
The solar panel has a built-in stake to plant in the ground. The length of the product and the stakes make these solar-powered string lights suited as outdoor fairy lights as well as indoor lights.
Price & Warranty
At $15.98 these are the cheapest mini string lights of those we reviewed. These outdoor solar lights also come with a 1-year limited warranty.
- Best fairy lights on the list.
- Has 8 color mode settings for customization.
- Longer than the average length of 33 feet.
- Cheapest outdoor balcony lights on the list.
- Fairy Lights may not be suitable for every scenario.
- Comes with a limited warranty on the product.
9. DBFAIRY Curtain Solar Lights
These are the best curtain lights on the list. They also have a handy memory function mode to save power. Users will have to have their curtain and they aren’t suited for anything else though.
DBFAIRY Curtain lights are fairy lights that come with 200-lumen bulbs. These rope lights are on a 6.6-foot strand that can be connected to other strands of the same make and model. This allows them to be curtained over a space to provide a unique outdoor lighting effect.
There are eight different lighting modes that can affect the colors and how often the solar lights blink. There is also a built-in memory function to take advantage of the power-saving solar LED string lights. With the right settings and memory function, users can get several hours of battery life.
Price & Warranty
These outdoor solar string lights are in the middle of the list in terms of pricing. There doesn’t appear to be a warranty of any kind so users will have to cover the cost of replacements and repairs.
- Only curtain light on the list that can connect.
- Eight lighting modes for customization.
- Comes with a memory function to remember previous settings.
- No warranty information.
- Does not include a curtain for hanging the lights.
10. Joomer Solar String Lights
Joomer solar string lights are great if you’re looking for specific colored lights. They have the second-longest length of anything on the list, 8 light modes, and are reasonably priced. The only issue is that to get a different color you have to buy a separate product.
There are 200 LED lights that all emit colors ranging from blue to red depending on which one you buy. These run along a 72-foot strand which makes these the easiest to hang solar string lights.
Each product comes with eight lightning modes that affect the blinking pattern of the lights. Users can get a steady emission or opt for twinkling and all the modes in between. They also come with a memory chip that can remember which settings were previously used. With a 1200 mAH battery, these lights should stay on for about 8 hours at a full charge.
Price & Warranty
These traditional string lights are on the lower end of those we reviewed. Each light comes with an 18-month warranty which is just above the average.
- Variety of color options depending on the product.
- At 72 feet in length, this is one of the longest strands of lights on the list.
- There are eight light modes with a memory feature for customization.
- Comes with an 18-month warranty.
- To get different colors you need to buy a separate light.
11. Albelt Solar Christmas String Lights
These are the ideal solar Christmas lights on the list. These solar string lights have the longest length at 85 feet, multiple lighting modes, and great battery life. Unfortunately, they’re meant for a Christmas tree and little else.
These Christmas lights come in a 2-pack and offer 480 solar LED string lights along the strand. Each strand of lights reaches up to 85 feet making them the longest option on the list.
The default setting has them emitting warm white lights, but there are eight lighting modes to change the blink rate. There is an 1800 mAH battery that provides a great 10 to 12 hours of battery life.
Price & Warranty
These are some of the pricier string light options that were reviewed. There also doesn’t appear to be a warranty in the event of defects or any issues.
- Best light on the list for Christmas decorations.
- Is the longest light on the list at 85 feet.
- Comes in a two-pack which makes it a good deal for the price.
- Has a great battery life of 10 to 12 hours.
- It is only suited for Christmas decorations.
- Doesn’t seem to have a warranty.
How Do Solar String Lights Work?
The majority of outdoor solar string lights receive their power from a built-in solar panel. These are often staked or mounted in direct sunlight. The solar lights should be turned off and the solar panel will charge a built-in battery during the day that allows the light to last through the night.
How to Hang Solar String Lights?
Sometimes the light will have features built-in to make them easy to hang. In most cases, users will need to use gutter clips, hooks, zip ties, or other devices to hang outdoor solar string lights. Curtain lights are unique in that they need to be connected, anchored, and then hang down over a space.
Do Solar String Lights Turn Themselves off?
This entirely depends on the m0del that is purchased. Most are designed to turn off when the solar panel starts charging the battery. Others will remain on 24/7 unless manually turned off. A few models have memory features that allow the user to dictate when they turn on and off.
Can You Leave Solar String Lights on All Night?
If the rechargeable battery is large enough then it can support the light being on all night. It is important to keep in mind local ordinances as some may have limitations on this. Otherwise, most products are designed to support this and shouldn’t have problems overheating.
Is It OK to Leave Solar Lights out in the Winter?
Depending on the type of solar outdoor lights, some are designed to be out in the winter and others aren’t. If you intend to keep your lights out make sure they are designed for this purpose.
Shatterproof bulbs, weather-resistant strands, longer battery life, and so on. A general rule of thumb is that Christmas-based lights are meant to be out in the winter.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?